The following is a sampling of the many artifacts found in the AAMI collections.
The iron slave collar is a rare artifact which has survived as evidence of America’s reprehensible era of slavery. If it wasn’t for Ben’s spirited persona, this iron collar would not have been made. The tangibility of the iron collar is rare, but even rarer is Ben’s story because we know his name. more
The collection all local to the Greencastle area and includes uniforms and artifacts from the G-A Civil War Rountable, newspapers chronicling the events of the assassination of Abraham Lincoln; a newspaper interview of Scott K. Snively (Company K, 126th Pennsylvania Volunteers) of Shady Grove that recounts his presence in the saloon of Ford’s Theater on April 15, 1865, the night Lincoln was shot, Soldiers' Letters on primary documents. more
Walter Smith Paintings
Walter Washington Smith's paintings have hung in renowned galleries in both United States and France. Most of his work was done from the 1920's to the 1940's, by which time he was living near Philadelphia. Born in Clearfield, PA in 1887, Smith lived for many years in his father's hometown as a child and as a young adult in the 1920's and early Depression years, when he operated a studio on West Baltimore Street in the Stover building located in Greencastle. more
PA Governors' Signatures
Allison-Antrim Museum’s Brumbaugh Collection of Pennsylvania Governors’ Signatures is a sizeable assemblage of about 80 different documents of Pennsylvania governors’ signatures. The late Dr. Thomas Brumbaugh, a native of Greencastle, gave the collection to AAMI the week the museum opened on August 1, 1998. It is a collection that he started in his youth and when presented to AAMI contained 42 signatures. AAMI surmises this collection, currently with 50 different signatures, is the largest of its kind outside those in the possession of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. more
The 1858 and 1868 Antrim Township maps show M. (Moses) Anderson (eldest son of Timothy) on Ridge Road. On the 1868 map an additional site off of Route 11 south of Greencastle is indicated, where the Anderson family owned a lumber mill. It was here that the Andersons employed former slaves. If the Andersons employed escaped slaves and, post-war, freed slaves, then perhaps they did more than just employ fugitives. In September 2009, a book written in 1897 by Rev. Dr. Matthew Anderson entitled Presbyterianism: Its Relation to the Negro was discovered to exist. Part One was about the establishment of the Berean Presbyterian Church in northwest Philadelphia for African Americans. Part Two…was his autobiography, where Matthew wrote, “Among the earliest impressions made upon our childish mind were the tales of horror about the South told by the fleeing fugitive as he lay in the secret enclosure of my father’s house where he was concealed.” There it was, a primary source, a firsthand account of his father’s participation in the UGRR.
Greencastle's first telephone
Greencastle's first telephone was installed in Carl's Drug Store in 1896.
A 1906 contract with United Telephone and Telegraph Company shows an agreed service cost of $30.00 per year with a $1.50 per quarter discount.
The Clover Header was used to harvest clover heads for seeds. It is handmade with square blacksmith-forged rose head nails and probably dates to the late 1700's or early 1800's. It is horse drawn and guided by a person walking behind holding onto the handles and adjusting the height by raising or lowering the header.
Carl's Drug Store
For 149 years (2015), three generations of the Carl family owned the pharmacy. Dr. Adam Carl arrived in Greencastle in April 1825. He opened his drug store on April 27 in his residence at 13 South Carlisle Street. Throughout the 190 year-old history of the drug store, the business has been located at seven different addresses in the Borough of Greencastle.
In 1888, Charles B. Carl, grandson of Adam, purchased the business, which he owned and operated until his death in 1935. Edward Carl, the youngest son of Charles B. and the last of the Carl family to own the drug store, sold the business to Frank H. Ervin in 1974. more
Portraits painted by William D. Lechler, the well-known, mid-19th century portrait painter and artist from the Waynesboro, PA and Smithsburg, MD area. The museum’s collection includes portraits from the Ziegler family, dating to the 1840s. Lechler portraits from other collections are included in this special ONLINE ONLY (after November 2015) exhibit. The accompanying portrait is of Frederick Ziegler, of Leitersburg, MD, who was the father of George W. and David Ziegler, merchants of Greencastle. more
Allison-Antrim Museum, Inc
365 South Ridge Avenue Copyright © Allison-Antrim Museum | All rights reserved.
Greencastle, PA 17225