United States Department of the Interior
National Park Service
National Register of Historic Places Approved Application
The Greencastle Historic District consists of approximately 350
properties located along the town's three main streets Baltimore
Carlisle and Washington as well as a few adjoining residential areas
The character of the district's mostly residential with commercial
sections mostly in the first two blocks of East Baltimore Street and
the first block of South Carlisle Street small turn of the century
industrial areas are included at the extreme north and south ends of
the district. The district is further characterized by tree-lined
streets a square brick paved sidewalks, and a collection of
residential and commercial buildings representing the town s
development from the late 18th century through the early 20th century
About 1911 or 1912, Harry McLaughlin built an annex, which included a movie theater, onto the hotel across the steet . The new, modern facility immediately started to attract special events and audiences away from the Town Hall. In 1913, the Town Hall building was sold. Within one year of the sale, the building was renovated – creating apartments on the second and third floors, with businesses on the first floor.
In the remaining decades of the 20th century, the building at 5 South Washington Street was known as the Funk building, the Strite building, and the Ausherman building, those names being those of the owners. Since the latter part of 2005, the current owner of the building was in the process of restoring the Town Hall building to its original glory by painting the outside wooden architectural features and renovating the 1913-era apartments. The Town Hall was in the good and caring hands of someone who respected and honored its past.
Copyright © 2020 Allison-Antrim Museum Inc - All Rights Reserved.
365 South Ridge Avenue, Greencastle, PA